Nespresso as a brand keeps adding new models to its line of Vertuo machines. It’s clearly something they are quite invested in, and Vertuo won’t be discontinued anytime soon.
Vertuo Pop is a new Vertuo model. It started as a release in the UK only, but as of April 2023, it is now available in the US, too, named Vertuo POP+.
In this comparison guide, I’ll compare:
- Nespresso Vertuo Pop vs Vertuo Next
- and, Vertuo pop vs VertuoPlus.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop and Vertuo Next
Vertuo Pop is designed based on the Vertuo Next – the share the same ‘core’ and the same ‘software’.
- The biggest difference is the dimensions and colors.
- Nespresso Vertuo Pop was designed to be a compact version of the Vertuo Next.
- Similarities between the Nespresso Vertuo Pop and Vertuo Next are:
- Bluetooth connectivity – Manual brew head closure – Both can brew Vertuo Carafe and Vertuo Alto pods.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop and VertuoPlus
Between the Nespresso Vertuo Next and VertuoPlus, there’s quite the difference:
- VertuoPlus is relatively bigger in size. It has a difference design ‘feel’. And VertuoPlus uses a motorized head with automatic closure and opening.
- When it comes to software and technology, VertuoPlus is not Bluetooth connected and is not compatible with the XL Alto pods.
Below, you’ll find features, specs and detailed comparisons of the Vertuo Pop, Vertuo Next and Vertuo Plus.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop vs Vertuo Next: Detailed Comparison
- Nespresso Vertuo POP+ Deluxe Coffee and Espresso Machine by Breville with Milk Frother, Titan Medium
- Vertuo Pop+ offers a variety of coffee formats in 5 sizes, including 5, 8, 12oz coffees, as well as single and double espressos brewed hot or over ice.
- Sleek Vertuo design with 37 fl. oz. removable side water tank placement for easy access to fit tiny spaces.
- One-touch coffee system, 30 second heat up time, automatic used coffee pod ejection and adjustable drip tray for shorter cups.
- unlocks a smooth full-bodied coffee topped with a velvety layer of coffee foam, for a perfect cup every time
- Compact Design
- Bluetooth connected
- Compatible with 12 oz Nespresso pods
- Short spout clearance makes using taller cups hard
- Pods exclusive to Nespresso
- Nespresso Vertuo Next Deluxe Coffee and Espresso Maker By De’Longhi
- The Vertuo Next Nespresso machine makes an extraordinary cup of coffee in a variety of sizes and producing velvety crema indicative of only the highest quality (exclusively compatible with Nespresso Vertuo coffee pods)
- Delivers the optimal in-cup results for each blend using capsule-specific brewing with barcode reading resulting in a silky crema atop the coffee; a signature of a truly great cup of coffee.
- Vertuo Next makes both coffee and espresso in a variety of sizes: 5 8, and 18oz coffees, and single and double espresso.
- Bluetooth connected
- Compatible with 12 oz pods
- Accommodated short and tall cups
- Pods exclusive to Nespresso
- Proven to be more problematic than other models
Vertuo Pop is a direct competitor to the Vertuo Next. They share nearly identical design, the difference is in the size
|Nespresso Vertuo Next
|Nespresso Vertuo Pop
|5.5 x 16.8 x 12.4 in
|8.6 x 14 x 10.4 in.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop is with 8.6″ / 13.6 cm width, 10.4″/ 25 cm height and 14″ / 42.6cm depth. In comparison, Vertuo Next has less width, but is higher and deeper than the Pop.
The difference is in the height of the machines. Which means, this affects the size of mug you can place under the coffee spout…
- With Vertuo Pop, you can place a large 8 oz/ 250 ml mug max.
- Vertuo Next is designed to fit as large as a carafe (Nespresso’s) under the spout.
Coffee Pod Compatibility
All Vertuo machines are Vertuo pod compatible only. The pods are available from Nespresso only. You won’t find pods from other brands like illy, Lavazza or L’OR.
In the US, there are Starbucks Vertuo pods, but these don’t seem to be available worldwide just yet.
Coffee Brew Sizes
With both Vertuo Pop and Vertuo Next, you get to brew the four main cup sizes all Vertuo machines can brew: Espresso, Double Espresso, Gran Lungo and Coffee.
Pods Exclusive to Nespresso Vertuo Pop and Vertuo Next
However, the carafe itself cannot fit under the Pop’s low spout. So even though the pod will run in a Pop machine, you won’t be able to fit the carafe under the spout like you would with a Vertuo Next machine.
Performance and Usage
All Nespresso Vertuo machines, including Pop and Next, perform the same. You use them the same way, too. It’s a one-button operation. Insert your pod, the machine will read the barcode and recognize its size and brews accordingly.
Both Nespresso Vertuo Pop and Vertuo Next have Bluetooth connectivity. You can connect them to your smart phone using Nespresso’s app. You can use this feature to track your pod usage and it can alert you when you’re possibly running low. It also offers software upgrades for your machine, and descale alerts or troubleshoot guides.
Other than the difference in dimensions, there’s also color availability:
Nespresso Vertuo Pop has a matted black body with a contrast-colored brew head. It’s available in a range of pop colors such as Aqua mint, Coconut White, Spicy Red, Mango Yellow, Pacific Blue. As you can see from these names, the colors are might to be bright and fun.
Nespresso Vertuo Next is also available in some colors, but they’re not ‘pop and bright’ as the Vertuo Pop. Vertuo Next is available in white, grey, black. Or if you go for the Premium or Deluxe models, you can find Rose Gold or Chrome metallic colors.
Which Should You Pick?
Here’s the takeaway from this comparison that will help you choose the right Vertuo model by looking at key features:
- Nespresso Vertuo Pop is based on the Vertuo Next. They use the same software and materials, the only difference is that the Vertuo Pop is a shorter machine, fits smaller cups and is available in vibrant colors. If you already have a Vertuo Next, don’t switch to the Pop, you’re not getting that much difference of an experience.
- If you want to brew Carafe or Alto 12 oz coffee pods, you are limited to Vertuo Pop or Vertuo Next. As these brew sizes are exclusive to these models (as well as the Vertuo Creatista)
- Want to use large cups? Then Vertuo Pop is a big no. This model only fits an 8 oz cup at most (yes, even though it can brew larger pod sizes!) Vertuo Next or VertuoPlus are better option for larger cups.
- If you simply want the most reliable of three models, the VertuoPlus is your best pick. It has a motorized head that’s less likely to break, a repositionable water reservoir and overall better build.
Choosing a Nespresso Vertuo Pop or Vertuo Next, even though they’re not exactly my favorite, is the best choice. It is clear that Nespresso is invested in their connected, newer generation Vertuo models, so much so that their new pod releases are all exclusive to them.
So purchasing a newer generation Vertuo like Pop or Next ensures that you can use future pod releases that could be exclusive.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop vs Vertuo Plus: Detailed Comparison
VertuoPlus is one of the best Vertuo machines you can own. I have been using mine daily for a while without any issues (read my full experience with VertuoPlus here)
Again… all of these are Vertuo models, so they use the same pods, same technology and are used the same way. The difference here is in the design…
Automatic vs Manual Brew Head
Vertuo Pop (and Vertuo Next) use a manual close head brew, which means you manually close and lock the brew head before hitting the brew button to get started.
With the VertuoPlus, it’s a motorized open/closure brew head. You simply press the lid button and it automatically closes or opens. Does this make a lot of difference?
It certainly means less breakage. You can’t go wrong when things run automatically. With a manual close/lock… you could force the lid down by mistake, or sometimes, not close it correctly.
|8.7 x 12.7 x 12.8 in
|8.6 x 14 x 10.4 in.
VertuoPlus is clearly a larger machine than the Vertuo Pop.
VertuoPlus dimensions are 34.9D x 22W x 32.5H centimetres vs 42.6D x 13.6W x 25H centimetres. In Inches, that’s (WxDxH): 8.7 x 12.7 x 12.8 in.
The biggest difference in dimensions is the height. Vertuo Pop is a short machine that can fit any where. You don’t have to worry about cabinet highest or anything blocking its lid. But with the VertuoPlus, you have more height to fit larger cups.
Design and Colors
Nespresso VertuoPlus has a retro modern feel and design, while the Vertuo Pop is quite modern and colorful.
The VertuoPlus is available in solid colors like off-white, black or grey. The VertuoPlus Deluxe version has some Chrome accents as well as a larger water reservoir.
One cool thing about the VertuoPlus is that it has a repositionable water reservoir. You can sit it to the back or side of the machine, so it can fit your space better.
VertuoPlus does not have Bluetooth connectivity.
Like other Vertuo machines, VertuoPlus and Vertuo Pop can brew espresso, double espresso, gran lungo and coffee. Vertup Plus will not be able to brew the new Alto XL pods or Carafe pods like the Veruto Pop.
Why I Prefer Nespresso VertuoPlus over Other Vertuo Models
All of these Nespresso Vertuo models are great options for making delicious espresso-based and coffee drinks, and it really comes down to personal preference when choosing which one is right for you.
The Vertuo Pop offers a vibrant design with plenty of colors to choose from and its compact size makes it ideal if space is limited. On the down size, it does not accommodate longer cups, if you ever choose to use one.
The VertuoPlus has an automatic open/closure brew head that may be more convenient than manually closing each time you want to make coffee or espresso. Additionally, the larger water reservoir on the Deluxe version also adds convenience in terms of having to refill less often. Finally, adding an Aeroccino milk frother will allow you to easily make cappuccinos and lattes at home without any hassle.
When it comes to Vertuo Next, there’s always been a reliability issue surrounding this model. It’s flimsy, it leaks a lot and most people who bought it ask that you do not buy it, or that it should be recalled. But there are some lucky ones whose Vertuo Next didn’t act up and worked as it should. When it comes to Vertuo Pop, there have not been many complaints about it just, it just worries me that it is based on the Next model, which could lead to some reliability issues.
Then again, as I mentioned in the previous section, if you want a Vertuo machine that will work with future exclusive pod releases and can be periodically upgraded, you have to pick between Vertuo Next or Pop.
Overall, whichever Vertuo model you choose, what I can guarantee you can count on is Nespresso’s customer service which will replace your machine with another machine if yours starts acting up in any way. All Nespresso machines are covered by a 1 year warranty, so that’s reassuring, at least.
Features of Nespresso Vertuo Pop
- Nespresso Vertuo Pop
- Vertuo Pop exclusively works with Nespresso Vertuo capsules, offering a range of over 30 capsules including iced and flavoured, producing velvety crema of barista quality
- Smaller footprint with a water tank to match. Brews different coffee sizes: espresso 40ml, double espresso 80ml, gran lungo 150ml, large mug 230ml. Includes complimentary welcome set of 12 capsules
- Fast heat up in 30 seconds, simple one-button operation with patented barcode technology that reads each capsule. Including automatic coffee pod ejection
- Connect your coffee machine to your smartphone using WiFi and Bluetooth smart technology for real-time updates, and descaling alerts
- Made from 35% recycled plastic. A+ energy consumption with automatic switch off after 2 minutes to help save energy. Nespresso Vertuo pods are made with 80% recycled material and are fully recyclable
- Use with Nespresso Aeroccino Milk Frother (sold separately) to create your favourite hot or cold frothy coffee shop drinks: Cappuccino, Latte, Flat White, Iced recipes.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop is the company’s newest addition to its line of Vertuo machines. It promises a small footprint, fun design and delicious coffee from a range of over 30 different compatible capsules for making hot and cold drinks. Its compact size and easy one-touch brewing make it perfect for small kitchen spaces, offices or dorm rooms. While its smart connectivity allows you to keep track of your machine in real time using your smartphone. Plus, it’s made from 35% recycled plastic, has an A+ energy consumption rating, and the capsules themselves are 80% recyclable – so no need to worry about extra waste.
Overall, Nespresso Vertuo Pop offers a great all-in-one solution for anyone looking to craft barista-style coffee at home without all the fuss. The quick heat up time, wide selection of capsules and automatic pod ejection make it easy – no matter your level of expertise – to create tasty espresso drinks in minutes. Add that to its low energy consumption and high sustainability credentials, and you have an unbeatable combination for café-quality coffees at home!
What Makes Nespresso Vertuo Pop Special
Nespresso Vertuo Pop Pods and Serving Sizes
Like other Vertuo machines, the Vertuo Pop uses CentriFusion technology to brew the main 4 sizes of pods: Espresso (1.3 oz / 40 ml), Double Espresso (2.7 oz/ 80 ml) , Gran Lungo (5 oz/150 ml) and Coffee (7.7 oz/ 230 ml)
What gives it an edge over other Vertuo machines, is that it can brew the new Alto pod (12oz/ 350ml). This pod is now exclusive to the Vertuo Pop and Vertuo Next. Ironically, the Vertuo Pop can also brew Carafe pod, which was exclusive to the Next model only. This is funny because Pop is actually quite compact and there’s no way to fit a carafe under its spout. Its carafe pod compatibility is not something that Nespresso advertises, but it was confirmed by Pop user. I believe this is due to the machine using Next’s same software, so they can practically brew the same pods.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop Design
Although Vertuo Pop is marketed as a compact machine, it’s only actually ‘shorter’ than other Vertuo models, but when it comes to depth and width, there’s not much difference. Having a shorter machine can be an inconvenience sometimes, especially if you’re someone who regularly makes larger cups of coffees or likes to brew directly into a travel mug.
What makes Vertuo Pop truly different is its colorful design:
- It is available in a wide range of colors, POP of colors… so that’s the inspiration behind its name, I guess.
But if you are a fan of Vertuo Pop’s compact design and would prefer a non vibrant color, the Vertuo Pop DELUXE version is available in gray withe metallic accents.
Let’s look into the exact differences between the Vertuo Pop and other models.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop vs Deluxe – The Differences
There are two main differences between Vertuo Pop vs Vertuo Pop Deluxe:
Color Availability and Water reservoir size
- Nespresso Vertuo Pop is available in a variety of vibrant colors: Blue, Red, Mint, and Yellow.
- Vertuo Pop Deluxe is available in Titan and Silver and has some chrome accents.
Water Reservoir Capacity
- Vertuo Pop has a 25 oz water reservoir capacity.
- Vertuo Pop Deluxe has a 32 oz water reservoir capacity.
Since these two versions have different water reservoir sizes, does that mean the dimensions are different?
No, both of them have the same dimensions of 8.6 x 14 x 10.4 in WxDxH.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop and Vertuo Pop Plus, Is There a Difference?
Vertuo Pop is sold in the USA under the name Vertuo+ … around the world, it is simply called Vertuo Pop.
I looked at different Nespresso local websites, US, UK, Taiwan, Switzerland, and Australia… just to compare and contrast, and I have not found any differences between the Vertuo Pop and Pop+
Interestingly enough, The Vertuo Pop DELUXE version is only available in the United States.
Is Nespresso Vertuo Pop Worth It?
If you’re buying your first Nespresso Vertuo machine, is Vertuo Pop worth it? Or should you buy another model?
It really depends on what you need out of your Vertuo machine:
Vertuo Pop has a nice and fun design compared to other Vertuo machines. The pop of colors can add a nice splash of color to your decor.
But I’m sure you’re not buying a coffee machine for decor purposes…
As a coffee machine, Vertuo Pop is worth investing in, only and ONLY if you are committed to Nespresso Vertuo pods. As a connected machine, I can see Nespresso adding more exclusive pods to Vertuo Pop and Vertuo Next, and most likely future machines based on these.
Nespresso Vertuo by Krups or Magimix, Is There a Difference?
Whichever Vertuo model you settle for, you’ll most likely find them available from Krups or Magimix. These are brands that Nespresso has partnered with to manufacture and distribute their brewers. There’s no difference at all between them, they are all Nespresso machines.
Does Nespresso Vertuo Pop, Next and VertuoPlus Include Pods?
Yes, your purchase of either Nespresso machine will include a pack of sample pods so you can try them. Sometimes, you can find a promotion to claim 50 Free pods from Nespresso, which is a fantastic deal.
How To Make a Cappuccino or Latte Using a Nespresso Vertuo Pop, Vertuo Next or Vertuo Plus?
Milk based drinks require frothy milk. If you frequently drink cappuccinos and lattes, I highly recommend that you bundle your machine with an Aeroccino milk frother which automatically heats and froths your milk (you can make cold froth, too).
You can use the Vertuo machine to brew an espresso or double espresso then add the froth from an Aeroccino to your cup. And you’ve got yourself a delicious creamy cup of cappuccino or latte!