I have already featured DeLonghi’s Dedica espresso maker on this site before. This espresso maker has been a favorite, especially as a choice for beginners, since it packs a lot of great features without any of the complications.
DeLonghi has released an upgraded version of the Dedica, named the Dedica Deluxe EC685M. It looks identical to the Dedica, but it’s more expensive. So is there any new features that are worth the extra bucks? And if you already have a Dedica machine, is it worth it to upgrade?
Features of DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe EC685
- 15-bar pressure espresso machine.
- Automatic flow stop, choose from a single or double shot, and the machine will dispense the exact right amount.
- Adjustable steam frother allows you to adjust the foam and steam level to create different milk styles for your desired coffee drink.
- Double removable drip tray allows you to accommodate different and taller cup sizes by removing the tray.
- Stainless steel housing.
- 35 oz removable water reservoir
- Very sleek and narrow design makes the machine very convenient to keep in any counter space.
- Available in variety of colors.
What Is The Difference Between DeLonghi Dedica vs Dedica Deluxe vs Arte?
There are two main differences that have been upgraded in the Dedica Deluxe:
The steam wand now has a switch that allows you to adjust the level of foam. You can also just heat the milk without foaming. This is a great option to have more control over your milk texture, even if you’re new to steaming milk.
The machine can now accommodate taller cup sizes, such as latte cups. This is thanks to the double drip tray, so you can remove two trays instead of one.
DeLonghi Dedica Arte, What Changed?
Again, DeLonghi has updated the famous Dedica to include a new frother. The Arte EC885 model now has a more professional steam wand that produces micro foam and will allow you to make beautiful latte art. DeLonghi calls it ‘My LatteArt’ Steam Wand.
Using this type of steam wand requires some practice before you’re able to produce quality milk texture. Once you get it right, you’ll make high quality coffee drinks. But if you prefer easier, and more dense milk foam, you might prefer the frother on the Deluxe version better.
Should You Buy The Dedica, Deluxe or Arte Version?
- If you already own the Dedica EC680M, should you upgrade to the newer model? If your machine is still working and in great shape, I really don’t see the need for the upgrade. Your Dedica still has the best features of the machine, and you’re still getting the same drink quality, so it wouldn’t be worth it to upgrade.
- If you’re buying a Dedica for the first time, I would recommend you choosing between the Deluxe and Arte version: If you like creamier froths, want to learn and create latte art, go for the Arte version. It comes with a learning curve, but it’ll be worth it. However, if you prefer denser type of foam, the foamier the better, the Deluxe version will be a better fit for you and an easier way to make foam.
- Other than the steam wands, you’ll get pretty much the same features.
Dedica Related Questions and Answers
Does Dedica Take Pods?
It is compatible with ESE pods (Easy Serving Espresso pods) but not capsules such as Nespresso, for example. It includes a filter basket just for that.
What Kind of Coffee Should I Use?
Use your favorite coffee beans, any type you like, as long as yo grind it properly for espresso use. You’ll want finely ground coffee to make a good shot of espresso.
Does the Dedica Grind Beans?
No, it does not have a built-in grinder. You’ll want to have a grinder if you don’t already have one. Scroll below for the recommended grinder.
DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe vs. Breville Bambino Plus – Which Is Best?
- The Breville Bambino Plus delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Bambino Series that offers the faster way to professional results at home in a compact footprint: serious espresso, serious value
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: Achieve a consistent and balanced espresso using the right amount of ground coffee; The 54mm porta-filter with 19 grams is the key for full flavor and cafe quality coffee
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all the flavors are drawn out evenly during the extraction for a balanced tasting cup
- FASTER HEAT UP TIME: Innovative ThermoJet heating system achieves the optimum extraction temperature in 3 seconds
- PRECISE ESPRESSO EXTRACTION: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal espresso extraction
Breville’s Bambino Plus is quite a unique machine that solves the one task most home users struggle with, milk texturing. This machine has a steam wand that will automatically froth and texture your milk to perfection. You have the option of selecting from three milk temperatures and three levels of textures. Select your desired customization and leave the rest to the machine.
If you feel like milk texturing is something that you want to learn and practice, you can save some money and go for something more affordable like the DeLonghi Dedica. This is the biggest difference between the two machines that can affect your buying decision, whether you want automatic frothing or not. Other features are nearly the same.
Best DeLonghi Accessories To Buy With Your Espresso Machine:
DeLonghi Dedica Conical Burr Grinder:
We all know the perfect cup of coffee starts with the perfect grind. And Dedica Conical Burr Grinder was designed to make it as easy as possible for you to get the right grind for your cup of coffee. The Dedica grinder has 18 variable grind settings for different brew methods: espresso, drip coffee, pour over or french press, so it’s not just for your espresso needs. An LCD display makes it easy to adjust your settings and get the grind you need. And you have the option to grind right into a portafilter or the included jar.
Design wise, the grinder matches the Dedica espresso machine perfectly, so they’ll look beautiful setting on your counter top.
DeLonghi Frothing Pitcher:
One of the downsides of the Dedica machine is that it does not include a frothing pitcher. So it would be a good idea to purchase one with your machine. We recommend DeLonghi’s brushed stainless steel jug with 14 oz capacity, although, of course, any jug of your choice will do.
DeLonghi Double Walled Cups:
Coffee looks a lot better and enticing in double walled glasses and the floating effect they give your drink. Not only that, but double walled glasses hold the temperature of your drink, whether hot or cold, for a longer time. DeLonghi offers these beautiful glasses in many sizes for each coffee drink. Pictured above are the tall glasses for Lattes, sold in a set of 2.