DeLonghi Dedica has been a popular choice for a beginner’s semi-manual espresso machine. It’s a user-friendly machine that can give you nice professional results. It’s also a great, budget-friendly machine for a beginner at-home barista.
Smeg, the Italian brand famous for its retro-style home appliances, also makes an espresso machine similar in features to the DeLonghi Dedica.
In this comparison, I will look at the differences between Smeg ECF01 vs DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe, which is the most comparative model to the Smeg.
Smeg and DeLonghi Dedica’s are the same class of espresso machines. They have about the exact same features, power and capabilities. However:
- Smeg espresso machine is highly priced and has a unique design
- DeLonghi Dedica is more affordable, has a sleek and compact design, but not as unique as Smeg’s.
Smeg vs DeLonghi Dedica – Top Differences
In terms of features, the Smeg ECF01 and the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe offer the exact same options.
The Smeg ECF01 has a single and double shot option, a milk frother, and a cup warmer. It also has a 15-bar pressure pump and a removable water tank.
The DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe offers the same with a single and double shot option, a milk frother, and a hot water dispenser. It also has a 15-bar pressure pump and a programmable espresso length.
DeLonghi Dedica includes an ESE pod filter basket, which allows you to use ESE pods instead of coffee grounds.
I own the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe, which you can see in the photo above. You can read my full DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe review to get an idea of how to use this machine.
When it comes to performance, both the Smeg ECF01 and the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe deliver excellent results.
The Smeg ECF01 produces rich and flavorful espresso with a creamy crema. It also froths milk well and heats up quickly.
The DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe produces a smooth and velvety espresso with a thick crema. It also froths milk well and has a hot water dispenser for tea or Americano.
Again, both Smeg and DeLonghi espresso machines are equal in their capabilities. When it comes to the quality of your espresso though, you’ll want to focus on using high quality beans and a precisely ground coffee.
This is pretty much where the difference is between Smeg ECF01 vs DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe.
Buying a Smeg espresso machine means you are getting Smeg’s iconic retro-style design in its famous color varieties that match other appliances from Smeg. This is the reason people purchase Smeg’s espresso machine over other brands… it’s all about the design.
DeLonghi Dedica, on the other hand, has a nice and sleek design. It’s compact in size, it has a slim profile and won’t take a lot of space on your countertop. It’s more on the modern side of design, and it’s also available in several colors.
Smeg’s espresso machine uses plastic housing for all its colors. It is made of high quality materials, but compared to DeLonghi Dedica, which uses full stainless steel housing, Dedica uses better materials.
Both Smeg and DeLonghi Dedica use a basica Panarello style steam wand. This type of wand creates high foam density, so it’s great for anyone who enjoys a frothy coffee. But there’s a differences in the frother on Smeg vs Dedica:
- Smeg’s steam wand is not adjustable. So you get one style of milk froth, and most likely, it will be very foamy.
- DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe has an adjustable steam wand. It allows you to switch between high foam (Cappuccino) or lower density foam for a latte.
Using this type of steam wand, it’s hard to create silky micro-foam style milk that you can use for latte art. If that’s something you’re into, I would suggest the newer DeLonghi Dedica Arte instead, which has a professional style steam wand.
Smeg and DeLonghi Dedica use the standard 51mm portafilter size and include pressurized single shot or double shot baskets.
These baskets will hold 7g of coffee grounds for the single shot or a 12g of coffee grounds for the double shot.
Smeg or DeLonghi Espresso Machine – Which One To Buy?
Between Smeg ECF01 vs DeLonghi Dedica, you are getting the same features and quality of an espresso machine.
Smeg is a lot more expensive than the DeLonghi Dedica, even though they have the same features.
So it all comes down to what you want and need:
- If you are looking for value in exchange of features, you should buy the Dedica Deluxe.
- If you don’t mind overpaying for an iconic and stylish design, Smeg is a great option. It’s the only reason you’ll want to pick Smeg over DeLonghi Dedica.
Overall, DeLonghi Dedica has the better materials (stainless steel housing vs Plastic), adjustable frother and best price value. As I personally use my DeLonghi Dedica daily, I highly recommend it.
Overview of Smeg ECF01
If you’re looking for a stylish and functional espresso machine, the Smeg ECF01 is a great option to consider. This espresso machine combines retro design with features to create a high quality espresso machine that looks amazing on your countertop.
Key Features of Smeg ECF01
The Smeg ECF01 has several key features that make it stand out from other espresso machines on the market. These include:
- Retro design: The Smeg ECF01 has a retro design that is inspired by the 1950s. It comes in a range of colors, including black, cream, red, and pastel blue, so you can choose the one that best suits your kitchen decor.
- 15-bar pressure: The Smeg ECF01 has a 15-bar pressure pump, which ensures that you get a rich and creamy espresso every time.
- Milk frother: The Smeg ECF01 comes with a steam wand which allows you to create lattes and cappuccinos with ease.
- Removable water tank and drip tray: The water tank and drip tray are both removable, which makes cleaning the machine a breeze.
Performance of Smeg ECF01
In terms of performance, the Smeg ECF01 is a reliable and efficient espresso machine. It heats up quickly, so you don’t have to wait long to make your first cup of espresso. The 15-bar pressure pump ensures that you get a strong and flavorful shot of espresso every time.
The steam wand is also easy to use and produces creamy and frothy milk for your lattes and cappuccinos.
Overall, the Smeg ECF01 is a great option if you’re looking for a stylish and functional espresso machine. Its retro design and modern features make it a unique addition to any kitchen, and its performance is reliable and efficient.
Overview of DeLonghi Dedica
If you’re in the market for an espresso machine, the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe is a popular option to consider. This compact machine is designed to fit easily on your countertop, and it offers a range of features that can help you make a great cup of coffee at home.
Key Features of Delonghi Dedica Deluxe
The DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe offers a range of features that can help you make a great cup of coffee. Here are some of the key features that you can expect:
- 15-bar pressure pump: This pump provides the ideal pressure for brewing espresso.
- Adjustable steam wand: You can adjust the frother to create the perfect milk foam for your latte or cappuccino.
- Thermoblock heating system: This system heats up quickly, so you can start brewing your coffee right away.
- Slim design: The Dedica Deluxe is designed to be compact, so it won’t take up too much counter space.
Performance of Delonghi Dedica Deluxe
The DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe is designed to be easy to use, and it offers a range of features that can help you make a great cup of coffee. The machine has a simple control panel that allows you to choose between espresso, cappuccino, and latte, and it also has a manual frothing wand that you can use to create your own latte art.
DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe vs Dedica Arte
There are two main models in the DeLonghi Dedica line:
DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe and Dedica Arte.
I have a full comparison of the DeLonghi Dedica Arte vs Deluxe, but here’s a quick hint:
the Dedica Arte, which is the newer model, has a professional style steam wand that replaced the panarello style frother. The new steam wand will give you better frothing results and creamier texture that you can use to create latte art.
Is DeLonghi Dedica Discontinued?
No, the DeLonghi Dedica is not discontinued. The Dedica Deluxe is not the newest model, the Dedica Arte is, but Dedica Deluxe is still being sold just like the Arte is.
If you’re interested in buying a DeLonghi Dedica, you can choose between the Dedica Deluxe, the Dedica Arte, and the Dedica. I would not recommend the original Dedica model, which does not have the adjustable panarello frother.
Pros and Cons
Advantages of Smeg ECF01
- Stylish design that adds a retro touch to your kitchen
- Easy-to-use control panel with simple buttons and dials
- Large water tank capacity of 1 liter
- Adjustable cup tray to accommodate different cup sizes
- Produces rich and flavorful espresso shots
Disadvantages of Smeg ECF01
- Expensive compared to other similar models
- No built-in grinder, so you need to purchase one separately
- Limited control over brewing temperature and pressure
Advantages of DeLonghi Dedica
- Sleek and compact design that saves counter space
- Adjustable brewing temperature
- Fast heat-up time of only 30 seconds
- steam wand is adjustable
- Great value for your money
Disadvantages of DeLonghi Dedica
- Does not give you a lot of control over your shot
- Basic features
It is important to remember that DeLonghi Dedica and Smeg ECF01 are entry level espresso machines, so you can’t expect a lot of features and customizations from them.
Instead, look for basic features, value for price and high quality, which I personally believe that DeLonghi Dedica has over Smeg.