Since you are looking for the best Nespresso Vertuo machine, then you’ve probably settled on buying a Vertuo instead of an OriginalLine machine. Great decision! Now, on to the next…. which Vertuo machine should you buy?
Before getting to Vertuo’s models and which one to go for, let’s remind you of a few things just to make sure you’ve made the right decision.
Nespresso Vertuo vs. OriginalLine, What’s The Difference?
Nespresso has two range of machines:
OriginalLine – Their original machines which brew espresso and can be used to make any espresso based drink.
Vertuo line – which can make 5 to 6 different cup sizes from espresso, coffee mug to a large travel mug size. It’s an espresso and coffee machine.
These two ranges of machines also use different brewing technologies:
OriginalLine work like most espresso machines, using a pressure pump to force water through the capsule to produce a shot of espresso.
Vertuo machines use a whole new technology, exclusive to Nespresso, called Centrifusion. This technology rapidly spins the coffee capsule, at 7000 rotations per minute, while forcing the water through the capsule to produce a cup of coffee or espresso. This allows for better distribution of water and full saturation of the coffee ground in the capsule.
The third big difference between OriginalLine and Vertuo machines is the capsules. They are completely different in size and design and cannot be used on interchangeably.
Since OriginalLine only produces espresso, the machines use smaller capsules. The capsules are available from Nespresso as well as other brands.
Vertuoline’s capsules vary in size, depending on the coffee size you’re brewing. They also have a unique design. The rims of each capsule feature a barcode that is read by a laser inside the machine to recognize the type of capsule and adjust brewing parameters (water volume, brew time, temperature) to match it.
Vertuoline capsules are only available from Nespresso. There are no capsules available from other brands
Should You Buy a Vertuo or an OriginalLine Machine?
Here are the two questions you need to ask yourself:
What coffee drinks do you enjoy the most? If you’re mostly making espresso based drinks such as cappuccino, lattes and so on… an OriginalLine would be more than enough. Bundle it with a milk frother and you’re all set for an at-home coffee house experience!
When do you pick Vertuo over the OriginalLine? If you want to brew larger cups of coffee (5 oz, 7.7 oz and 14 oz).Vertuo will give you every possible coffee drink, from espresso and up to a large coffee.
What Does Vertuo Coffee Taste Like?
If you’re switching from drip coffee machine or a Keurig machine, it’s important to note that Vertuo’s coffee (as in serving sizes 5 oz, 7 oz and 14 oz) will not taste like those. Drip coffee and Keurig coffee are brewed using a different process so it produces different taste. Vertuo’s coffee tastes closer to an Americano if you’ve ever tried one. And with Nespresso’s different varieties of coffee blends, you’ll experience coffee of different intensities and flavors.
Best Nespresso Vertuo Machine to Buy:
Now we’ve got that out of the way, let’s have a look at the best rated Vertuo machines…
- VERSATILE AUTOMATIC COFFEE MAKER: Brew different single serve coffee cup sizes; espresso (1.35 oz), double espresso (2.7 oz), gran lungo (5 oz), coffee (7.7 oz) and alto (14 oz). Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks
- VERSATILE AND AUTOMATIC: Based on the barcode on the rim of the capsule, the brewing parameters are adjusted by the machine, with no need to change settings
- SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MACHINE: create barista grade brewed single serve coffee or espresso cups at the touch of a single button; Designed for use with Nespresso Vertuo capsules only
- FEATURES: The VertuoPlus has a motorized head and moveable 54 ounce water tank, which can swivel out or stay behind the machine depending on your counter space. Also has a fast heat-up time of 20 to 25 seconds and has an automatic shutoff after 9 minutes
- COMPLIMENTARY GIFT: Each machine includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
The VertuoPlus is the best overall machine in Nespresso’s Vertuoline. It has a beautiful retro modern design, a somewhat compact and adaptable size and it’s available in different colors.
The VertuoPlus has a motorized lid, lightly press the notch for it to open up, place in your pod and press again for it to close.
The 40 oz water reservoir is removable for easy refilling and cleaning, and it’s also rotating. So to adapt to your space, you can have it on the back of the machine or next to it.
Serving sizes: Espresso 1.35 oz, Double Espresso 2.7 oz, Gran Lungo 5 oz, Mug 7.7 oz and Alto 14 oz (travel mug/tall cup).
VertuoPlus vs. VertuoPlus Deluxe:
- VertuoPlus has a 40 oz water reservoir, and all plastic housing/accents.
- VertuoPlus Deluxe comes with a larger 60 oz water reservoir. And it has some chrome accents.
Nespresso Vertuo Next:
- IMPOSSIBLY GOOD QUALITY: The only Nespresso Vertuo machine that brews 6 sizes: Coffee (5 ounce, 8 ounce, and 14 ounce), Espresso (single and double). New pour-over style caraffe (18 ounce) coffee exclusively for Vertuo Next , Used capsule container: 6-10
- QUALITY ENABLED BY TECHNOLOGY: This Nespresso Vertuo machine delivers the optimal in-cup results for each blend using capsule-specific brewing with barcode reading resulting in a silky crema atop the coffee; A signature of a truly great cup of coffee
- QUALITY MADE SIMPLE: This Nespresso machine delivers a consistent and delicious cup of coffee at a touch of a button. After brewing, the capsule is automatically ejected and stored – ready to be recycled– and the machine will turn off to save energy
- QUALITY DESIGN: Nespresso's newest innovation, Vertuo Next is the most compact, sustainable and smart Vertuo single-serve coffee maker yet. It’s made of 54% recycled materials, is only 5.5 inches wide. It also comes with a removable water tank
- QUALITY ROOTED IN SUSTAINABILITY: The aluminium sealed capsule protect the freshness of our coffee, but its also recyclable. Nespresso's recycling program makes returning and recycling your capsules easy with at-home and in-store options nationwide
VertuoNext is Nespresso’s 2020 machine release, and it’s made from 54% recycled materials.
In addition to the 5 brewing sizes that all Vertuo machines can brew, the NEXT model has one serving size that is exclusive to it, an 18 oz serving size that Nespresso calls ‘Pour-over style’.
Vertuo Next is also a connected machine. It can pair to your smartphone or tablet to allow for several things: firmware updates from Nespresso, water reservoir alerts, descale alerts, factory reset.
Unlike the VertuoPlus, Vertuo Next’s lid is manually opened/closed. So you have to hard close the lid in order for it to pierce the capsule, rotate the lock then hit the brew button.
Vertuo Next is available in several models:
Vertuo Next which is fully plastic housing, Vertuo Next Premium with some chrome or rose gold accent or the deluxe model which has some dark chrome or chrome finishes.
The difference between models is just aesthetic, all other features are the same.
Other Nespresso Vertuo Machines:
There are two other machines that go by the name Vertuo or Evoluo. These are earlier releases of Vertuo machines. While they still work okay, many customers mentioned that they has unstable temperature or lower than desired brew temperature. All has been fixed in the newer Vertuo machines (VertuoPlus and Vertuo Next). Which is why I don’t recommend you buy an older model.
Pros and Cons of Nespresso Vertuo Machines:
It’s great that you can finally get a full cup of coffee out of your Nespresso machine. The variety of serving sizes is great for most people’s daily coffee needs.
Nespresso is very convenient. It’s a quick, one-button operation that gives you a high quality cup of coffee in no time. And the best part it, it does not require regular clean up after each use.
Pod compatibility is still limited to Nespresso. To me personally, it’s not a problem as I really like the variety of blends that Nespresso offers. But I know some people would prefer to buy from other brands, too.
Somewhat pricey: The pods vary is price depending on the size, and sometimes on whether it’s a seasonal blend or a regular one. Price range for Vertuo pods are $0.85 to $2 per pod.
Nespresso Vertuo Breville vs DeLonghi
When shopping for a Vertuo or OriginalLine machine from Nespresso, some machines will be labeled under the brand name Breville, others will be under DeLonghi. Is there a difference between them?
No, they are all the same internally. Operation and performance wise, they are the same. The differences could be aesthetic, as some brands might have colors that the other brand doesn’t have or slight changes in exterior design.
It doesn’t matter which name you go for, they are all the same Nespresso machines.
Nespresso Vertuo Compatible Pods:
Vertuo machines are compatible with capsules by Nespresso only. There are no 3rd party pods available. So if you’re buying a Vertuo machine, you’re committing to capsules by Nespresso only.
Nespresso offers a wide range of capsules and are continuously adding more blends, single-origins and limited edition blends and flavors.
Vertuo capsules vary in size as their contain different measurement of coffee ground, depending on the cup size you’re brewing. They also vary in prices depending on the size.
You can buy your Vertuo capsules directly from Nespresso or Amazon.
Can You Use Nespresso Original Pods in a Vertuo Machine?
No, they are completely different designs and non will fit in the other system.
To tell them apart, you can see from the photo that the OriginalLine pods are small. Vertuo pods are circular and have a barcode all around the rim which helps your Vertuo machine identify the type and size of pod you are brewing.
Can You Use Your Own Coffee in Nespresso Vertuo? Using Refillable Vertuo Pods:
Using a refillable capsule for your Nespresso could bring down your coffee expenses and allows you to use your favorite coffee ground.
Refillable pods have been available for OriginalLine machines for a long time now. For Vertuo, there’s been some recent and very few refillable pods.
Before we look into available refillable pods for Vertuo machines, there are a few things I’d to say on why I truly DON’T like refillable pods:
To start, they take away from your Nespresso experience. The whole idea is for you to get the coffee you like with a push of a button. Using a refillable pod, you have to fill up a pod, measure coffee grounds and clean the pod after each use.
The coffee does not always come out right. According to customer reviews, some cups come out quite weak, others are okay.
Reusable capsules could affect the performance of your machine. And if your machine breaks because of a reusable pod, it will no longer be covered under warranty.
That said, if you’re still curious about refillable pods for Vertuo, here are some of the available pods:Table could not be displayed.
Can You Use a Nespresso Vertuo Pod Twice?
Technically, the machine will not know if you’re running the same pod twice, so, it can be done. But the only thing you’ll be getting out of it the second time is watered down coffee.