If you’re looking for an affordable compact super automatic coffee brewer, The Carina (1200 Series) by Philips is a great machine to consider. It’s a very simple machine that does exactly what it’s suppose with push-button operation. It has enough customization options to make a nice cup of coffee the way you like it.
Features of Philips Carina Super Automatic Espresso Machine:
- All in one, bean to cup coffee maker with built-in ceramic grinder and milk frother.
- Push-button beverages: Espresso, Coffee and Hot Water.
- Milk frothing wand allows you to heat and froth milk to create drinks like Cappuccino or Latte.
- Adjustable 12 grind settings.
- Adjustable 3 temperature settings.
- Adjustable coffee volume.
- Bypass doser for using pre-ground coffee.
- Front loading water reservoir with 1.8L capacity.
- Bean hopper capacity: 10 oz.
- Air-tight lid keeps coffee beans fresh inside the hopper.
- Compatible with Philips’ AquaClean smart sensing water filters (sold separately).
The Difference Between Brewing Coffee and Espresso:
A lot of super automatic machines only brew espresso, which is a shot that is made by extracting a strong brew using high force of water. To extract a shot of espresso, machines use a 15-bar (sometimes 19-bar) pump pressure. That’s why espresso machines operate on a totally different level than a drip coffee maker.
Espresso is either drank on its own, or with the use of frothed milk, can be used as a base for many specialty coffee drinks like Cappuccinos, Lattes or Macchiatos.
What about those times when you don’t want espresso, but would prefer a classic cup of coffee instead?
A machine like the Philips Carina can make that for you, too. Although the machine does not drip coffee the same as a classic coffee maker, it uses low pressure to replicate it and produces a long cup of coffee that’s just as good as a traditional drip machine’s.
Hot Water Option – What’s It For?
The hot water button provides you with boiling hot water instantaneously. You don’t have to heat water manually or use an electric kettle to bring water to boil, with the Philips Carina, it’s as simple as pushing a button to get hot water to use for tea, instant meals or whatever else you might need it for! The hot water goes through an independent spout, so you don’t have to worry about any coffee taste or residue in your hot water.
Philips Carina 1200-series vs. Philips 2200-series, What’s The Difference?
If you’ve seen the Philips 2200, it looks identical to the Carina. And we’re not wrong, they both have the exact same features:
Beverage options: espresso, coffee and hot water.
Temperature settings: 3
Grind settings: 12
Milk Frother: classic steam wand
They also have the same ceramic grinder and water reservoir. So, where’s the difference?
There’s just one single difference between these models: Aroma strength.
The 2200-series has a selection of 3 Aroma Strength settings, which is basically brew strength. Adjusting this setting will allow you to create regular or bold coffee depending on your choice.
Philips 1200, 2200 vs. 3200 Series, What’ the Difference?
If you want to go next level with the features, the 3200-series has the most features out of this line of machines.
- Enjoy 4 coffees at your fingertips, makes espresso, hot water, coffee, Americano, Espresso Lungo
- Intuitive touch display, frequency: 60 hertz
- Adjust aroma strength and quantity
- 12-step grinder adjustment
- Aroma seal keep your beans fresh for longer
The Philips 3200 has:
- Four preset beverages: espresso, espresso lungo, coffee and americano. It has the hot water option, too.
- It has adjustable temperature, coffee volume and aroma strength settings.
- Unlike the 1200 and 2200 series, the 3200 series has its temperature setting on the front panel so you can change it with a press of a button. The other models have the temperature settings inside of the machine that requires a bit of a tinkering.
- Design wise, the 3200 has some nice stainless steel accents like the bezel around the front panel and the stainless steel drip tray.
Philips 3200 Series vs. 3200 LatteGo Fully Automatic, What’s The Difference?
- Enjoy 5 coffees
- Intuitive touch display
- 12-step grinder adjustment
- 20,000 cups of finest coffee with durable ceramic grinders
- Keep your beans fresh for longer thanks to the aroma seal
The LatteGo is an upgraded version of the 3200-series machine offering you even more features:
- It has 5 preset beverages: espresso, coffee, americano, cappuccino and latte macchiato. As well as hot water on demand.
- The LatteGo has an integrated milk frothing jug. This type of milk frother heats, froths and pours in the milk into your cup automatically. So you don’t have to froth the milk manually using this model.
- Since the machine has an integrated milk frother, you can adjust the milk and froth volume as well as coffee volume.
- Unfortunately, this model lacks adjustable temperature settings. But instead, it uses Aroma Extract System, which is an intelligent system that works on balancing temperature and aroma to water flow settings to create the perfect cup.
- Adjustable settings are temperature, aroma, coffee and milk volume.
Which of These Should You Buy?
If you’re looking for an all in one, push button solution then the 3200 LatteGo has it all. The automatic milk frother means you only need to push the cappuccino or latte button to get your favorite beverage done for you fully automatically. The milk froth will be perfectly done every time. This is the biggest advantage the LatteGo offers you.
If you don’t mind frothing your milk manually, then your choice is between the 1200, 2200 and 3200. The 3200-series offers extra presets (lungo or americano), but I do believe you can save a bit of cash and manually create those presets on either the 1200 or 2200 models. Both models have instant hot water (so you can easily make an americano) and the espresso volume can be adjusted to create a lungo.
If Aroma Strength (brew strength) is important to you, then you can go for either 2200 or 3200.
If you want the most affordable option that still does most tasks, the 1200 is your choice.