Review of Nespresso Prodigio: What Is It and How It Works
Nespresso has added yet another innovation to its lineup of single-serve espresso makers. Just like Nespresso brought us VertuoLine and VertuoLine Evoluo, which are the first Nespresso espresso makers that brew BOTH espresso and coffee!
So, what else can Nespresso bring us? Well, this time it’s an espresso maker only, but it’s powered by a high-end technology that adds to convenience and luxury Nespresso has to offer.
What Is Nespresso Prodigio?
Prodigio is a smart, Bluetooth-enabled espresso maker by Nespresso. It works just like any other OriginalLine Nespresso machine, it brews espresso using Nespresso capsules in the same way we know and love. But an added feature is the wireless Bluetooth connectivity, it connects to your smartphone or tablet (iOS or Android) and allows you to wirelessly brew a cup of ristretto, espresso or lungo without getting up. You can even schedule your brewing, manage your capsule stock, or check on your machine clean-up and maintenance all via a smart app.
Features of the Nespresso Prodigio:
- 19-bar single-serve espresso maker.
- The first Bluetooth connected espresso maker by Nespresso.
- Use the smart app to brew coffee immediately, schedule future automatic brews, capsule stock and more.
- Uses Nespresso OriginalLine capsules.
- Three programmable volume settings: Ristretto, Espresso and Lungo
- Fast heat up time, 25 seconds.
- Water reservoir capacity: 27 oz.
- Rotating water tank makes it more adaptable to your space
- Automatic used capsule ejection.
- Used Capsule drawer capacity: up to 14.
- Dimensions: 10.1″ x 4.7″ x 14.7″
- Made in Hungary.
The Nespresso Prodigio is available in two models, Prodigio which is the standalone espresso maker and the Prodigio Milk, which has a built in Aeroccino milk frother.
Each model is available in 2 colors: Silver or Titan (Grey).
Watch How It Works:
This last video is not in English, but it should give you a clear idea of how the app and smart connectivity works.
Nespresso Prodigio vs. Vertuoline, What’s The Difference?
Apart from the fact that Prodigio is Nespresso’s first Bluetooth connected espresso maker, it’s also an OriginalLine machine, which means it uses the smaller espresso capsules by Nespresso (as well as Nespresso compatible brands). Vertuoline uses its own designed capsules to brew espresso and coffee, while Prodigio only brews espresso and espresso based drinks.
Nespresso Prodigio vs. Pixie, What’s The Difference?
- Prodigio and Pixie both are OriginalLine, so they will use the same capsules.
- Prodigio is the only Bluetooth connected Nespresso machine.
- Pixie has a 24 oz water tank while Prodigio has a 27 oz water tank.
- The water tank of Prodigio is rotating, which means it’s more adaptable to your counter-space.
- Pixie’s body is equipped with LED backlight which is on always or works as an indicator for an empty water tank or full used capsule drawer (flashing).
- Pixie isn’t available with an integrated Aeroccino milk frother, but a frother can be purchased bundled with the machine.
Do I Have To Use the Smart App To Brew Coffee On the Nespresso Prodigio?
No, definitely not. It’s only an added feature for your convenience. The Prodigio can be used like any other Nespresso machine or through the app, the Bluetooth connectivity isn’t required.