The Capresso EC100 has been a favorite among people looking for a budget espresso machine for under $200. Capresso has now introduced a new shiny espresso and cappuccino maker that might just take its place. Although it is higher in price, the new Capresso 118.05 EC PRO is full of upgraded features that are worth it.
Features of the Capresso 118.05 EC PRO:
- A commercial grade espresso machine for home use.
- Features an advanced boiler that maintains the perfect temperature of hot water.
- Portafilter with heavy-duty steel spouts.
- Can brew a single or double shot a time.
- Brushed stainless steel housing that is both sleek and durable.
- Stainless steel milk frothing wand.
The Capresso EC PRO is a great option for a beginner as well as intermediate barista. It gives you a great brewing experience, excellent results thanks to its advanced boiler as well steel portafilter. Having a high quality stainless steel exterior makes it more durable than other cheaper options.
Capresso 118.05 EC PRO vs. Capresso EC100, What’s The Difference?
- The Capresso EC100 combines stainless steel with plastic, but mostly has plastic parts, including the frother.
- The Capresso EC PRO has a durable stainless steel exterior, heavy duty stainless steel portafilter (Except for the handle) and stainless steel forther.
- The control dials on both machines are slightly different but mostly operate the same.
- The Capresso EC PRO has an advanced boiler that works on maintaining the hot water at perfect temperature for a quick and even extraction. The EC100 does not have this feature.
- The Portafitler on the EC PRO has be used with the included filters or bottomless, which is a more professional way of using it.
- The EC100’s portafilter is pressurized, which is a more of a beginner feature and usually creates less than perfect shots.
- The steam wand on the EC PRO is stainless steel and longer, which creates better froth and gives you more control over it.
Which Should You Buy? The Capresso EC PRO or the EC100?
If it’s within your budget, the Capresso EC PRO will give you a lot more for your money. While the EC100 is a decent espresso maker and works as promised, it is not as durable as the EC PRO. Keep in mind that the EC PRO is commercial-grade built, which means it should withhold a lot of use without breaking.
Capresso EC Pro vs. Capresso Ultima Pro, What’s The Difference?
- The EC PRO is more like a commercial grade design with its full stainless steel build. While the Ultima Pro has a plastic body with some stainless steel accents.
- The control panel on the EC Pro is a dial knob and on/off switches. On the Ultima Pro, it has illuminated press buttons.
- The Ultima Pro has a self-tampering portafilter, which makes it easier to use for beginners.
- The water reservoir capacity on the Ultima Pro is 34 oz, and it’s 42 oz on the EC Pro.
- The EC Pro has a more advanced pump boiler that maintains the temperature of hot water, which gives yo faster and more consistent results.
- The EC Pro can be used with a filter or as a bottomless portafilter, which gives you more control over your shots.
Which Should You Buy? Capresso EC Pro or Ultima Pro?
The Capresso EC Pro has more professional look and power than the Ultima Pro. It has a larger reservoir, better boiler, stainless steel exterior and a bottomless filter that produces better espresso. On the other hand, the Ultima Pro can be easier to use for a beginner, or for someone who is not looking for a lot of features of rather easy of use.